zondag 9 januari 2011

2010 : the ones that (almost) fell thru the cracks

There were more than 10 albums in the past year that I really, really liked. Goes without saying.
Here's some that deserve an honorary mention.


Croatian Surf instrumentals. I kid you not. Incredible musicianship from this foreign quartet produced by Chris Eckman. I'm not averse to surf music, even get out some compilations a couple of times a year.
This album is far more than just surf. Eckman adds some strings, brass and Morricone touches but he uses them sparsely and wisely. There's often twin lead guitars involved.
Each tune has its own mood and I wouldn't be surprised if their music turns up in a Tarantino soundtrack sooner or later. Fantastic and at 39 minutes total just the right length.


I'm sorry to say that my 5-star favorite Amy Millan didn't release an album this year. However, Holly Miranda's debut more than makes up for this.
Eerie, opaque dream sequences around her quiet soulful voice. Lots of synths and treated guitar are the work of TV on the Radio's David Sitek.
Perhaps you're familiar with Forest Green Oh Forest Green, the opener on The Magician's Private Library?
If not, that's a good place to start.



Barely 20 years old and already her second album. This one is British and already a bit of a star.
Comparing the new one to her debut "Alas I cannot swim"  it's darker in mood and totally steeped in 70's English Folk. Marling doesn't pretend to be the new Sandy Denny -her voice is totally different- but walks the same path as did Sandy in her early solo years.
A truly enjoyable cd.


A 'Best of'', yes. But easily the best compilation I've heard in years. Why? Because its songs are well chosen and ordered to flow in perfection.
Never been a big fan of the Triffids and never understood the fuss for 'Born Sandy Devotional' either.
A 10 cd box was released on the same day as 'Wide Open Road' but the casual fan will just need this one disc.
And it contains my all time favorite song of theirs: 'Bury me deep in love'.




Move over Allison Krauss & Union Station, heeeere's the Steeldrivers! Second album from my new modern day Bluegrass heroes!
A band without a drummer where fiddle and banjo are the lead instruments. And still they rock like a urethane bowling ball on dry lane conditions. There's no duff track on this one just like on their eponymous debut from 2008.  What a great rockin' band in such a traditional genre.


A rehabilitation and return to form on Bingham's third. Ray Lamontagne just edged him out of my top 10 I guess.
This one goes back to 2007's 'Mescalito' and is worth a sigh of relief after the riff riddled 'Roadhouse Sun' where producer Marc Ford drenched everything in Black Crowes like heavy soloing. Now I like both the Crowes and Ford's solo stuff but it really was out of place on a countrified americana album where Bingham's strength lies.

1 opmerking:

  1. cool Album reviews
    I welcome you to check out my blog!Keep up the cool reviews
    Trish

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen